Comprehensive and Balanced
Recently there has been a lot of publicity about how students in the United States are falling behind the rest of the world and need to be prepared for high-tech jobs of the future. The U.S. Department of Education received funding to launch the STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering and Math) initiative. You can read about STEM at http://www.ed.gov/stem. There are many good things about this program, but at Holy Trinity, we strive to develop the whole person, and that includes religion and the arts.
The National Catholic Education Association (NCEA) offers a modified version of the STEM program which is called STREAM – Science, Technology, Religion, Engineering, Art and Mathematics. We are focusing on the key STREAM elements in our curriculum at Holy Trinity Catholic School.
Below is a Grade by Grade Overview of our Academic Curriculum
Holy Trinity Catholic School is one of the few preschools in the area to offer both Pre-K3 and Pre-K4 as separate classes.
The Pre-K goal is to provide a safe and secure “home away from home,” while at the same time providing little ones with opportunities to experience a wider world. Socialization is very important. At preschool children meet new friends and become familiar with adults other than their parents. It is a friendly, faith-filled atmosphere. Our teachers are specialized in Early Childhood and have been chosen specifically for their abilities to interact with our littlest ones.
Preschool activities help to build:
- Christian values
- Reading readiness and language skills
- Early math skills
- Personal and social awareness
- Phonemic awareness
- Science and social studies concepts
- Gross and fine motor skills
- Fine arts, computer, library
Academic and spiritual development depend on strong, solid foundations, and that is just what the early grades provide.
Our Kindergarten program is built upon:
- Literacy-based curriculum, including science and social studies
- Basic math skills
- Physical education, art, music, library
- Character-building activities woven in with all academics
- A Safe, secure learning environment
- A structured platform for life-long learning
Primary Grades 1, 2, and 3
Primary grades continue the momentum begun in the early childhood years. Our children gain knowledge, skills and values necessary to thrive in the 21st century. Confident, resilient children who have a strong sense of right and wrong are developed in these early grades through:
- Sacrament preparation
- Independent and critical thinking activities
- Communication skill practice in speaking, listening, writing
- Team-building approaches to learning
- Introduce and utilize the STREAM Program
- Music, art, and physical education
- Sports and extra-curricular activities
- Handwriting training in both manuscript and cursive. (Yes, we still teach it!)
- Skill-building in becoming self-directed learners
Intermediate Grades 4 and 5
The amount of fundamental knowledge acquired in the intermediate grades is amazing. From the times tables to self-control, from decoding to conscience-forming, from composition to Christian values the students build every aspect of their lives.
Toward that goal the intermediate grades:
- Provide a fertile learning environment of both academic and spiritual lessons
- Are based on Christ’s message of love
- Use a strong, unified, common curriculum that links grade by grade
- Make interdisciplinary learning and cross-curricular instruction possible
- Make flex grouping easier
- Introduce and utilize the STREAM Program
- Build solid, Christian scholars who are ready to move onto the middle school setting
Upper Middle School Grades 6, 7, and 8
Holy Trinity Middle School takes the final step in the advancement of our Catholic school community into the future. As a targeted center for the middle grades, the curriculum is strengthened. Teachers are specialized in their subject areas.
Interdisciplinary learning will be enhanced by the STREAM (Science, Technology, Religion, Engineering, Arts, and Math) learning program.
Student engagement, higher level thinking exercises, and alignment with the Bishop Guilfoyle High School curriculum will all be possible in ways they never were before. Our middle school students will be preparing for the high school experience in this unique Christ-centered environment.
Opportunities that will be afforded to our middle school students are:
- Challenging academic programs
- Faith development activities
- Flexible student grouping
- Directed development of good study habits
- Targeted elective classes that allow students to explore a variety of interests
- State of the art science/technology labs
- Fine arts and foreign language programs
- Co-curricular activities
- Athletic program based on the concepts of teamwork, hard work, and perseverance
- Personal and social skill development in a faith-filled environment